From: David Ashleydale [mailto:dashleydale@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 May 2017 7:34 AM
To: Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Are All Capital Letters accessible?

Another thing to be careful of with using all caps is that it's sometimes used for emphasis. And that usually doesn't come across for screen reader users. In fact, I've seen some screen reading software read out the letters one by one when they are all capitalized because it thinks it must be an acronym. And that would be super annoying to screen reader users.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net<mailto:mrmazda@earthlink.net>> wrote:
Léonie Watson composed on 2017-05-08 16:15 (UTC+0100):

> I'd also note that all caps is generally thought of as bad manners (it's
> the equivalent of shouting at someone)...

Not "generally", but in the context of plain text email, which had its genesis
several decades ago, and where bold, italic and larger type size are not
available for emphasis where appropriate.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/