Re: Web accessibility for people with dyslexia

From: Elizabeth Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 08:16:59 -0400
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@domblogger.net>
FYI - Another font I like is Andika from SIL.org

It’s designed for learners new to reading and is also optimized multiple languages (e.g. Spanish, French, Russian…). It’s under their open font license, and it does include a WOFF web font file.

It has a lot of the same design characteristics recommended by the British Dyslexia Association (https://bdatech.org/what-technology/typefaces-for-dyslexia/)

> On May 5, 2017, at 2:13 AM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net> wrote:
> On 05/03/2017 06:07 AM, Sandra Evans wrote:
>> Hi Brian
>> Can you provide some examples of the fonts you are referring to?
>> Thanks,
>> Sandra
> When I looked at licensing fonts for dyslexia for use as webfonts it seemed that many of them either could not be licensed or were too expensive for me.
> I did find a font that was not created specifically for dyslexia but to me anyway appeared to have many characteristics of fonts that were created for dyslexia.
> It's called Cyntho Pro.
> https://www.youworkforthem.com/font/T4888/cyntho-pro/
> It is a very clean sans-serif font.
> I am not dyslexic but I have found it is easier for me to read when that is the font used for the main content.
> -=-
> Unfortunately my own personal disability involves memory issues from head injuries (epilepsy) and I don't recall the characteristics I looked for, but when I was looking for a dyslexia font and saw I either could not license the tested fonts for the web or saw that they were way too expensive to license, but I do remember there are certain letters where you need to check the characteristics of the shapes.
> I think p and q and b and d were two of them but I don't remember what the characteristics to check for were, and there were some other letters where characteristic of the shape matters.
> Also the font I linked has not been tested for the purpose and I can't afford to pay to have it tested for that purpose. So I hope it works but I can not say that it does.
> Also also, it seems there are several different types of dyslexia and what works for some does not work for others.
> A lot of dyslexic say Comic Sans MS is a free font that works well for them, but a friend of mine who is dyslexic says that font doesn't help her personally. And it also isn't as free as some seem to think. It isn't available (legally) as a system font on Linux and it can't (legally) be used as a webfont.
> Interestingly she likes the old Apple font Monaco even though it is monospace.

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Accessibility IT Consultant
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University