Re: Web accessibility for people with dyslexia

On 05/03/2017 06:07 AM, Sandra Evans wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> Can you provide some examples of the fonts you are referring to?
>
> Thanks,
> Sandra

When I looked at licensing fonts for dyslexia for use as webfonts it
seemed that many of them either could not be licensed or were too
expensive for me.

I did find a font that was not created specifically for dyslexia but to
me anyway appeared to have many characteristics of fonts that were
created for dyslexia.

It's called Cyntho Pro.

https://www.youworkforthem.com/font/T4888/cyntho-pro/

It is a very clean sans-serif font.

I am not dyslexic but I have found it is easier for me to read when that
is the font used for the main content.

-=-
Unfortunately my own personal disability involves memory issues from
head injuries (epilepsy) and I don't recall the characteristics I looked
for, but when I was looking for a dyslexia font and saw I either could
not license the tested fonts for the web or saw that they were way too
expensive to license, but I do remember there are certain letters where
you need to check the characteristics of the shapes.

I think p and q and b and d were two of them but I don't remember what
the characteristics to check for were, and there were some other letters
where characteristic of the shape matters.

Also the font I linked has not been tested for the purpose and I can't
afford to pay to have it tested for that purpose. So I hope it works but
I can not say that it does.

Also also, it seems there are several different types of dyslexia and
what works for some does not work for others.

A lot of dyslexic say Comic Sans MS is a free font that works well for
them, but a friend of mine who is dyslexic says that font doesn't help
her personally. And it also isn't as free as some seem to think. It
isn't available (legally) as a system font on Linux and it can't
(legally) be used as a webfont.

Interestingly she likes the old Apple font Monaco even though it is
monospace.