Re: Web accessibility for people with dyslexia

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 23:13:01 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 05/03/2017 06:07 AM, Sandra Evans wrote:
> Hi Brian
> Can you provide some examples of the fonts you are referring to?
> Thanks,
> Sandra

When I looked at licensing fonts for dyslexia for use as webfonts it
seemed that many of them either could not be licensed or were too
expensive for me.

I did find a font that was not created specifically for dyslexia but to
me anyway appeared to have many characteristics of fonts that were
created for dyslexia.

It's called Cyntho Pro.

It is a very clean sans-serif font.

I am not dyslexic but I have found it is easier for me to read when that
is the font used for the main content.

Unfortunately my own personal disability involves memory issues from
head injuries (epilepsy) and I don't recall the characteristics I looked
for, but when I was looking for a dyslexia font and saw I either could
not license the tested fonts for the web or saw that they were way too
expensive to license, but I do remember there are certain letters where
you need to check the characteristics of the shapes.

I think p and q and b and d were two of them but I don't remember what
the characteristics to check for were, and there were some other letters
where characteristic of the shape matters.

Also the font I linked has not been tested for the purpose and I can't
afford to pay to have it tested for that purpose. So I hope it works but
I can not say that it does.

Also also, it seems there are several different types of dyslexia and
what works for some does not work for others.

A lot of dyslexic say Comic Sans MS is a free font that works well for
them, but a friend of mine who is dyslexic says that font doesn't help
her personally. And it also isn't as free as some seem to think. It
isn't available (legally) as a system font on Linux and it can't
(legally) be used as a webfont.

Interestingly she likes the old Apple font Monaco even though it is