From: Lars Holm Sørensen <lhs@diversa.dk>
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Grid and aria-owns question

Hello WAI list

I am trying to construct a simple data table, from some list data by applying role=”grid”, role=”row”, role=”columnheader”, role=”gridcell” and aria-owns.

In my simple example I try to construct a grid with 2 columns and 3 rows. Column 1 for fruits and column 2 for vegetables.
The first row is a header row and then follows two rows with data.

When testing with Jaws I get the expected result in Chrome. A grid with 2 columns and 3 rows and I can navigate it using the Jaws table navigation keys.

However in IE and FF I get different results.

They both show the header row perfectly.

Then follows two rows where each row only has a single column, but still in that single column it reads the data from both column 1 and column 2.

Then follows four columns, each showing data from one of the four gridcells.

Here comes the Jaws output from going through the grid by just pressing down arrow IN ff:

grid with 2 columns and 5 rows
Fruits
Vegetables
Apple Potato
row
Banana Cucumber
row
Apple
Banana
Potato
Cucumber
grid end

Here comes the code:

<!-- The header row. -->
<ul>
<li role="columnheader">Fruits</li>
<li role="columnheader">Vegetables</li>
</ul>
<!-- eof header row-->

<!-- Add content to row one in the accessibility tree by using aria-owns.-->

<!-- Add content to row to in the accessibility tree by using aria-owns.-->

<!-- The two lists with the data we want to go into the grid.-->
<ul   id="col1">
<li role="gridcell" id="row1_col1">Apple</li>
<li role="gridcell" id="row2_col1">Banana</li>
</ul>

<ul  id="col2">
<li role="gridcell" id="row1_col2">Potato</li>
<li role="gridcell"  id="row2_col2" >Cucumber</li>
</ul>

<!-- eof grid-->

Do you have any ideas why it doesn’t  work the way I expect it to in IE and FF?

Am I using aria-owns in an inappropriate way?

Best regards:
Lars Holm Sørensen

De bedste hilsner
Lars Holm Sørensen