Re: Visibly hidden controls

From: Elizabeth Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:22:31 -0500
To: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@domblogger.net>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I agree that this more of a usability issue of “Do users know there are extra options available”? IMO, I also agree that designers underestimate how much the general population knows about certain symbols like the “hamburger menu” (the 3 bars), the gear icon for settings and clicking a logo to go to the site’s home page.

In fact, the Norman Nielsen group has documented that a large percentage of  users DO  miss hidden navigation options in a lot of interfaces and that it usually takes longer to find content when too many navigation options are hidden.

There may be times when you have to minimize available options in an interface, but I would say its important to be clear how to get to the additional options.

My two cents

> On Dec 5, 2016, at 11:12 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net> wrote:
> The response I got was it needs to be collapsed to make the site look better on cell phones and that everyone knows the three bars opens it, that's the standard.
> I guess because I mostly use my phone as a phone (I don't trust the privacy / security of the app craze) it was a "standard" I wasn't hip enough to know about.

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University