From: Adam Cooper [mailto:cooperad@bigpond.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:24 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: SC 1.3.3 - text alternative or no visible label?

hi all,

There is some debate at my work about whether (non-decorative) 'graphical symbols' need to have visible labels when they provide instruction.

So I have a question about SC1.3.3.

Is it reasonable to infer from SC1.3.3 that instructions conveyed non-verbally must be accompanied by some form of visible text?

For example, a button with a triangle icon indicating current state (or is it indicating outcome?) that rotates 90º and toggles an expandable section. The button includes offscreen text that says 'show/hide xyz'.

Is this sufficient to meet SC  1.3.3?

Should anything be read into the use of 'glyph' and 'symbol' in failure technique F26?

Should F26 be under SC1.1.1 instead?

cheers,
Adam

For more info visit www.bullguard.com<http://www.bullguard.com/tracking.aspx?affiliate=bullguard&buyaffiliate=smtp&url=/>