Re: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates kick in

On 08/11/2016 19:00, Phill Jenkins wrote:
> Patrick,
> has your interpretation been adopted and documented in any of the W3C
> WAI docs yet?  Seems reasonable to me.
>
> "Keep in mind that not omitting content/functionality does not mean that
> things still need to all be on the same page when in small viewport
> mode. If a page is feature/content rich on a large screen, it's
> perfectly acceptable for things to be moved to separate views/screens
> when on a smaller viewport (i.e. it doesn't mean that everything now
> just needs to be stacked vertically)."

I don't believe there's anything currently that specifically addresses
this for the responsive "same page changing depending on viewport
width/zoom level" aspect. The closest the spec comes to tackling this
concept is under its definition of "conforming alternative version"
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#conforming-alternate-versiondef (but, as
discussed at length on this list earlier in the year, the different
versions you'd see at different breakpoints aren't really "alternative
versions" per se, as they're displayed based on factors that may be
outside the user's control, and they're in effect the same resource,
available under the same URI).

Having said that, I'd turn this around and say that, to my knowledge,
WAI does not mandate the opposite of what I said either (i.e. nowhere
does it state that all the content/features must be present in exactly
the same place/same page). But taking the wording for conforming
alternate version (regardless of this case not being about a strict
"alternate") "Note 2: The alternate version does not need to be matched
page for page with the original (e.g., the conforming alternate version
may consist of multiple pages)." it seems that what I said above is
reasonable, even if not explicitly mentioned.

Patrick H. Lauke