From: Phill Jenkins [mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2016 1:40 PM
To: Jonathan Avila
Cc: IG - WAI Interest Group List list
Subject: RE: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates kick in

> . . . That's where in my opinion there could be a potential issue.  For example, because I use zoom or low resolution my page is often thrown into a responsive view where content or functionality may be hidden and not reachable in that view. . . "

I agree there is a potential issue.  I think we need to establish if it is a potential accessibility when the zoom if preformed by the end user, or if it is also when the view width is narrowed, and/or both.  Zooming is a common accessibility feature used by many individuals.  However, I'm not sure that narrowing the browser width view is an accessibility feature or function.  Why would a person with a disability need to make the browser view width more narrow for an accessibility reason? I'm not thinking of any other than when the user is wanting to force the responsive design to render the mobile phone narrow view because it is in fact the more accessible (more simple, more conforming, etc.) than the wider desktop view of the responsive design.

I also think this is an example of a potential issue where when the feature is "built in" to the browser for everyone,  everyone may not use it in the same way.  The web site designer is thinking that the better experience is for the end user to see the site be more responsive and render the narrow phone breakpoint view, while the low vision user is just trying to zoom in to see the site better.  Isn't this really a requirement for the user agent (browser) to handle (not the web designer) because each user is different and may want a different reaction to the zooming?  As we say, one size does not fit all.  In other words, some users will want the zooming to NOT trigger the responsive design to kick-in, other users WILL want it to respond at the same zoom and width.  Users may want the experience on some site and not on others BECAUSE it may depend on that site's particular design vs always having the zoom feature trigger it.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com<mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com>