Re: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates kick in

On 02/11/2016 15:56, Beranek, Nicholas wrote:
> Hey Matthew,
>
> The SC description says it right there: “without loss of content or
> functionality”. Therefore, if you zoom into the browser to 200%, you
> would expect everything to still be there, albeit perhaps in a different
> format.
>
> With that, let’s think about possible solutions for when a user has a
> lower resolution. One solution would be to detect if the user has zoomed
> into the page. Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a reliable
> method of doing this. Detect-zoom got very close, but browsers have
> modified how they handle zoom (e.g. Firefox changes the devicePixelRatio
> value on manual zoom so you can’t differentiate between zoom mode and a
> retina device). Here’s the library for more information:
> https://github.com/tombigel/detect-zoom
>

> We do the best we can. You can try Detect-zoom and see how well that
> works out for you. You can also check the pixel ratio and set up CSS
> media queries to account for that and try to sift out mobile devices.

Fundamentally, though, the problem is not "we can't accurately
differentiate between mobile devices and users that zoom in on desktop",
but rather "we shouldn't drop content/functionality based on viewport
size", I'd say.

Patrick H. Lauke