Re: WCAG 2.0 and EN 301 549

Hi,

On 20/09/2016 16:29, Olaf Drümmer wrote:
> While ETSI carried out the development of EN 301 549, it actually is a
> CEN standard - so CEN would have the last word about this.

The 2014 [1] and the April 2015 versions [2] available from ETSI have
CEN, CENELEC and ETSI on the cover page, since the EC mandate (Mandate
376) went to all three of these standardisation bodies.
The copyright notification mentions CEN, CENELEC and ETSI as copyright
holders, so the claim that it is exclusively a CEN standard is
incorrect.  (The European Commission wanted the standard to be published
by ETSI so it would be available free of charge.)

However, I don't know what the process would be when WCAG 2.0 gets updated:

* Would the Join Working Group (CEN/CLC/ETSI/JWG eAcc) update EN 301
549? (Without a new mandate?)
* Would W3C submit the new version to ISO? This would indirectly allow
acceptance as a CEN standard, since CEN and ISO have the "Vienna
Agreement", which allows, among other things, the "adoption of existing
international standards as European standards" [3]. (W3C was recognised
as a "PAS Submitter" by ISO in 2010 [4]; I am not aware of anything
similar between W3C and CEN.)

> CEN (https://www.cen.eu/Pages/default.aspx) is the “European Committee
> for Standardization”. The abbreviation CEN goes back to the French
> equivalent “Comité européen de normalisation”.
>
> The CEN website link to EN 301 549 “Accessibility requirements
> suitable for public procurement of ICT products and services in
> Europe" is:
> https://standards.cen.eu/dyn/www/f?p=204:110:0::::FSP_PROJECT,FSP_ORG_ID:60328,855949&cs=18CA5914157C8AAA297634B3D0FEE774B

[1]
<http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/301500_301599/301549/01.01.01_60/en_301549v010101p.pdf>
[2]
<http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/301500_301599/301549/01.01.02_60/en_301549v010102p.pdf>
[3] <http://boss.cen.eu/ref/Vienna_Agreement.pdf>
[4] <https://www.w3.org/2010/04/pasfaq>

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“I drink tea and I know things.”
Falsely attributed to Christophe Lannister.