W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > July to September 2016

Re: Technical baseline clause revisited?

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 13:25:22 -0400
Message-ID: <CAAdDpDYz87t+zLs28H4dFoBxC3=2F1_Aii3YoZ3YQOKzg0zJfw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net>
Cc: ALAN SMITH <alands289@gmail.com>, Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL <ryladog@gmail.com>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
WCAG is a consensus document arrived at over 9 years, by diverse
stakeholders including the disability community and industry ... at it's
minimum, it requires one technology stack, including accessibility
supported  affordable AT, taking into consideration various social programs
such as the ADP program in Ontario to support the purchase of AT. In other
words web sites don't have to work with free AT, just one set of affordable
AT at the minimum.

I sat in on all those sometimes painful discussions over those years, but
we have a standard that did not receive one formal objection from any
stakeholder, which is a minor miracle given the subject matter.

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*
Tel:  613.235.4902



GitHub <https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>

www.Can-Adapt.com <http://www.can-adapt.com/>

*  Adapting the web to all users*
*            Including those with disabilities*

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net>

> Hi again Alan and all,
> One more important point here.
> Whose real-world?  the real world is how you define it...just ask trump.
> Seriously, suspending the assumption that you know anything about any
> other person's world but your own must be the first line of compliance or
> so I feel.  Otherwise the knee jerk tendency to assume  first and ask never
> kicks in.
> Speaking only for myself, I feel such is especially true if you experience
> a challenge yourself..a shared label does not a shared experience make.
> here in Ontario one critical part of how the law is applied requires a
> company to position themselves regarding an accommodation request..in plain
> English that means you ask what is needed and why.
> From a section 508 standpoint, I dare say that means you say what must be
> present for the door to open at the basic level?
> Because  so many of you here are  in the policy business the individual
> human might not factor into your daily calendar.  Never forget that you are
> facilitating participation, not meeting guidelines, if that resonates.
> just my two cents,
> Kare
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, ALAN SMITH wrote:
> Karen,
>> I appreciate your insight into all of this.
>> I’m challenged in supporting a client who must be accessible from a
>> regulatory standpoint.
>> In the real-world user find things don’t always match up with regulatory
>> compliance guidelines.
>> Best.
>> Alan
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>> From: Karen Lewellen
Received on Friday, 9 September 2016 17:25:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 9 September 2016 17:25:54 UTC