RE: Technical baseline clause revisited?

Alan,
conformance with WCAG success criteria does not, as you state, say that
the web app must support "all of each or all of any".  So, for example if
the web app requires JavaScript, or WAI ARIA web technology, and they show
that it can be accessibility supported by AT, OS, etc. and pass the
success criteria, then they have met their burden of conformance of
meeting the success criteria.  They could and perhaps should also
"document what they rely on", in other words, if the user or employee
doesn't have the AT or OS or browser that also support JavaScript or WAI
ARIA, then the web app is still conformant (in my opinion), but not
available or usable without the supporting AT, OS, etc.  Some scenarios
might include: its accessibility supported on Windows 10 with Edge,
Firefox, and Chrome (but not Safari), and on iOS and MacOS, but not
Android, Linux, etc.

Another example of limits to "accessibility supported" include other
language versions or perhaps in other countries where there isn't a
supporting OS, or AT, or browser. In other words, the conformance claim is
limited in a sense. But, there is an implied "more than one" in the WCAG
conformance because WCAG uses (on purpose if I remember correctly) the
plural of technologies, browsers, operating systems, and other user agents

In my opinion It is up to the policy makers to set the minimum supporting
technologies beyond two.  For example, a policy maker inside a company may
say that all employee facing apps must be accessibility supported on
Firefox v 45, Chrome, and IE and JAWS 15, ZoomText, etc. and Windows and
MacOS with VoiceOver.  A policy maker for a country or state may also do
the same, but they often don't because what is not supported today may be
in fact be supported next month with no change in the web app.  WCAG does
not set policy or regulation, its the other way around.

Having said all that, in the specific case of passing the 2.1.1  Keyboard:
success criteria, it would pass when at least two operating systems have
supporting keyboard interfaces for interacting with the functionality of
the web app, without requiring anything else.  What often happens is the
misunderstanding that some have or at least grey areas in interpretations
that because an AT may have enhanced features that let the end user
navigate by heading or control, for example,  that the OS and browser must
also have that enhanced feature, or that the web app must also have that
feature.  WCAG doesn't require the web app to have additional AT like
enhanced features, but that the functionality in the content be operable
through the keyboard.  So if the web app lets a user open or close, expand
or collapse, or move left or right, up or down, then all that
functionality must be available via the keyboard. It is the browser or AT
combination (not the web app) that must provide additional end user
enhanced features like navigate by heading for example.

So, perhaps there is a misunderstanding in interpreting that 'they have a
set that they know works through their own testing or validation from a 3
rd party and meets the guidelines with that set". But requiring an AT for
basic keyboard interface beyond operating system support is not meeting
the intent of the  success criteria for 2.1.1  Keyboard:   Does that need
to be made more explicit in the Understanding 2.1.1?  Or perhaps the web
app owner incorrectly implied in their claim wording that the  AT and
Browsers supported are needed for each and all success criteria, which
should not be the case for 2.1.1 Keyboard.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - IBM Accessibility
ibm.com/able
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility
twitter.com/IBMAccess