From: Phill Jenkins [mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, 25 August 2016 10:15 AM
To: Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL <ryladog@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Karen Lewellen' <klewellen@shellworld.net>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Technical baseline clause revisited?

My additional point to add on this thread is that there can be confusion in terminology at times, especially across legal terms and applicability.  For example, in order for the entity to comply with some provision of AODA, their web site or web app should conform to the 36 Success Criteria of WCAG 2.0 that are referenced in AODA.  e.g. conform to the technical standard means the web site passes the success criteria.  A company (or entity) complies with the law, a web site conforms to the standard.  The company can't say their web site conforms to the standard by requiring a certain assistive technology, because, as Katie quoted, the standard itself says: ". . . it [the website] works with assistive technologies (AT) and the accessibility features of operating systems, browsers, and other user agents."

In other words, the entity complies with AODA by claiming which web technologies (e.g. HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, etc.) they are relying upon, not which assistive technologies they are relying upon to pass the WCAG success criteria. The keyboard success criteria does not imply nor should it rely on any assistive technology, it explicitly says through a keyboard interface, which is typically part of the operating system platform and a physically attached keyboard, period.

2.1.1<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#keyboard-operation-keyboard-operable>Keyboard: All functionality<https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/keyboard-operation-keyboard-operable.html#functiondef>of the content is operable through a keyboard interface<https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/keyboard-operation-keyboard-operable.html#keybrd-interfacedef> without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where the underlying function requires input that depends on the path of the user's movement and not just the endpoints. (Level A)

A Keyboard interface is an operating system feature that is used by the browser, used by the AT, and used by other user agents.  The OS feature also provides the physical (or Bluetooth connected) keyboard device support to the human end user as well.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - IBM Accessibility
ibm.com/able<http://www.ibm.com/able>
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility<http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility>
twitter.com/IBMAccess<http://twitter.com/IBMAccess>