Re: Iframes and landmarks

I agree with this also, but I think one of the unspoken issues is that the the iFrame content may be coming from somewhere beyond the developer’s control. A common use of an iFrame is to embed content from Google and other sources.  Sometimes the iFrame may contain just a media element, but sometimes it’s more complex such as a form.

For instance, if I pull in content from service Foo (e.g. FooForm) and that page has its own properly coded set of ARIA landmarks, the developer will

One solution could be for Foo to develop some kind of landmark system that would integrate with being pulled into an iFrame…if that is the intention of Foo. But could a developer somehow mark the iFrame as an ASIDE with an appropriate label? Would the hierarchy be clear enough?

Just thinking aloud.

Elizabeth

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk> wrote:
>
> On 18/08/2016 18:47, Balusani, Shirisha wrote:
>> Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart
>> from the one the web page has?
>> If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner
>> roles , main and content info roles?
>
> Yes, landmarks inside an iframe will work the same as those in the parent page. I would advise against having more than one main landmark anywhere in the page though - the HTML specification permits only one <main> element per page, and this is the element the main landmark role relates to.
>
> Léonie.
>

> --
> @LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.