Re: multibyte content

On 4/08/2016 12:37, Olaf Drümmer wrote:
> Wouldn’t one want to be using UTF-8 all the time anyway?

Yet, that's what I do, but some web content authors don't use the right
configurations for their tools.
Possibly, some authors publish their content on a server where they
can't change the HTTP charset parameter for UTF-8.

Best regards,

Christophe

> Olaf
>

>> On 04.08.2016, at 11:50, Christophe Strobbe <strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de
>> <mailto:strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de>> wrote:
>>

>> On 25/07/2016 17:16, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:
>>> VoiceOver also has no issues with multibyte. One does have to make
>>>  sure the lang attribute is set correctly in the HTML.
>>
>> Setting the lang attribute correctly is good advice, but is it
>> sufficient?
>> One issue that I encounter rather frequently is that pages that use
>> multi-byte content are still sent over the network as Windows-1252 or
>> a variant of ISO/IEC 8859. On the user side, this can usually be
>> fixed by choosing a different encoding in the browser (e.g. "More
>> tools ..." > "Encoding" in Chrome's hamburger menu), but most
>> non-technical users don't know about this feature. In some cases,
>> even changing to a different encoding won't help. I assume this is
>> because both the document encoding and the server's HTTP charset
>> parameter are incorrect.
>> (See <https://www.w3.org/International/articles/http-charset/index>.)
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Christophe
>>

>>> Over the weekend, I read an article from a Korean  company where
>>> even though the specific page was in English, VoiceOver (on IOS)
>>> started reading it in Korean.

>>> http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/#menubar
>>> and