Re: Access Accessibility information from JavaScript

On 23/07/2016 13:27, Tobias Bengfort wrote:

> I just realized that there is no JavaScript API to access accessibility
> information. I am focusing on the role, but this probably also applies
> to other topics.

[...]

> I cannot be the first person thinking about this. Is there any prior
> discussion that explains why this is not included in any spec? Or is
> there a spec that I missed?

It is not a simple thing, not least because of the differences between
all the platform accessibility APIs. Thought has been put into this by
various people though, notably at Microsoft and Mozilla. There is a
proposal to bring together the good bits from Microsoft's WAPA,
Mozilla's Web Accessibility API project, and other places like IndieUI,
to create script based accessibility. More info here:
https://discourse.wicg.io/t/script-based-accessibility-for-web-applications/1112

Hth
Léonie.

--