Re: links as buttons and buttons as links

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:10:37 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I think I agree with Siri, with some clarification:

Buttons and Links *should" have different functionality, and should always
be labeled consistently to conform to SC 3.2.4.

and I recommend a "failure technique" be added that explains this. My
example: a button labeled "Cancel" and a link text "Cancel" are labeled
the same, could actually have similar results (but shouldn't), but will
confuse the end user thinking that there is, or more importantly, there
will be a different results between the button and the link.  The end user
will think (should think?) the cancel link will jump to the cancel
explanation, while the cancel button will actually preform the cancel
function on the page or app.
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - IBM Accessibility