Re: links as buttons and buttons as links

From: Elizabeth Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:14:09 -0400
To: "Balusani, Shirisha" <sirib@uillinois.edu>, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>, w3c WAI List <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
For screen readers, links and buttons are quite distinct.
I saw someone using a screen reader miss an item on a navigation on a menu of links because it happened to be a button disguised to look like a link.

You have to keep in mind that someone on a screen reader may choose to jump from link to link or button. If the “button” is buried in a set of links, it is easy to miss.

It’s OK to use both, but developers need to keep them distinct for everyone.

My two cents.

> On Jul 9, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Balusani, Shirisha <sirib@uillinois.edu> wrote:
> Buttons and links has  different functionality so I think  it  is  violation  of  the  WCAG rule.
> Thanks ,
> Siri
> On Jul 8, 2016, at 11:37 PM, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com> wrote:
> hi all …
> quick question about styling links as buttons or styling buttons to look like links.
> Is it a failure of SC 3.2.4 to have a link styled like a button with the role semantics of link on one page and have the same functionality performed by a  button styled to look like a link with the role semantics of button on another page?

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University