Re: Is the accessibility of a 3rd party that represent me still my concern?

If your institution is government funded, Section 508 requires you include accessibility in any contract you engage with an outside vendor.  If you are not government funded then I’m not sure.

For more info, Section 508 website: http://www.section508.gov/content/roles

Tel

On Mar 28, 2016, at 2:21 PM, Smith, John C. <JohnCasey.Smith@capitalone.com<mailto:JohnCasey.Smith@capitalone.com>> wrote:

In my humble and personal opinion, it is on you to add accessibility to the contract, on the vendor to meet your requirements for accessibility, and then on you again to ensure they met your requirements.

Casey

From: Druckman,Geri [mailto:GDruckman@mdanderson.org]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 4:21 PM
To: wai-ig
Subject: Is the accessibility of a 3rd party that represent me still my concern?

Hi all,

Here’s a dilema I have, and I seek your advice hoping any of you have had to deal with a similar situation before.
The institution I work for is in negotiations over a contract with a vendor that will supply us with a web based application solution.  This will NOT be hosted on our servers in any way, it is 100% on the vendors side, and our clients will receive an email with a link, directing them to the vendors site, where they will need to interact with said application.

At the moment to vendor claims not to be section 508 / WCAG compliant and is seeking an exemption in the contract.

My dilemma is, although we have nothing to do with the development or hosting of said application, we are still sending our clients over to that site to interact with it.  Is it still within my institutions responsibility to make sure that this vendor is accessible, or is this all on them?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Geri Druckman

(cross post with WebAIM)
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.