Re: Are visible labels required per WCAG 2.0?

>>I even advocate as a best practice that most any and all information perceivable to an assistive technology user should be made visible to sighted users too.
When content is developed, content authors have the option to make
whatever they  wish to be visible. Obviously, if it is generally
useful  and suits the design they will do so.
Then it is a matter of general usability.
For multi-segment fields with a label on the left or form controls in
a table, there are enough visual cues  for sighted user to decipher
the purpose of the controls.
Yes this may be screen size specific and authors need to  assess these
for different platforms else something that is usable on a laptop may
not be so on smaller devices etc.
The table summary attribute or off-screen labels are specifically
meant to help the VI user only. Making these visible  is not needed
for the sighted user and may not even suit the visual UI design. So it
is not a BP.
BTW  I am presenting on Accessibility Best Practices - What it is and
what it is not on Fri 03/25 3.20 pm at CSUN.

Note: H44 explains that visible labels are needed for 3.3.2.
Also the placeholder text is not a substitute for a label say the
specs though it may work like a label when no input data is entered.
Thanks and best wishes,
Sailesh