Re: WCAG compliance question

> On 26/02/2016 12:25, Richard (Userite) wrote:
> Yes the site needs to be accessible with CSS enabled AND with it
disabled.

> On 26/022016, "Patrick H. Lauke" wrote
> I wouldn't say it's as clear cut as that, just as similar statements
> like "a site must work even when JavaScript is disabled" aren't exactly
> true either. Neither of these statements can be found anywhere in the
> letter (nor the spirit, I'd argue) of WCAG 2.0.

Patrick, I agree with the spirit of your statement.  In fact the reference
from Charles earlier in this thread explicity (normative language) does
mention JavaScript and CSS.

> as I read WCAG 2.0 it allows conformance claims to rely on particular
> technology - See point 5 at
> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#conformance-claims.

The following are not my word or my intrepretation, but quoting from WCAG
.20 itself:

5. A list of the Web content technologies relied upon.

        Example: Some common examples of Web content technologies include
HTML, CSS, SVG, PNG, PDF, Flash, and JavaScript.

        relied upon (technologies that are)
        the content would not conform if that technology is turned off or
is not supported

Individual interpretation are just that, that individuals opinion, and
often are not backed up by consesnsus arrived normative language of the
WCAG 2.0 standard itself. I personally do not like the debating, but the
fact remains that almost all web apps (not static web pages) require
JavaScript and CSS in order to function.  We don't go around demanding the
same with Windows desktop application or MacBook applications, that they
run without the supporting underlying technology.  I belive people are
continuing to incorrectly place the burden on the user, instead of on the
browser or platform, when suggesting antiquated techiques like turning off
CSS or JavaScript.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,