Re: Allowing font size changes

I have stayed out of this to see our best thinkers address this problem.

Here is where I come down. Intelligent enlargement is the responsibility of
authors, user agents and operating systems.  The full capability and
granularity of  CSS 3 is really the level of access needed. It is there to
serve other design needs, why not do it to help people with disabilities.

Authors are responsible for arranging pages so that they can linearize to
fit one column so that the full width of the viewport can be used for
enlargement.  Responsive design already does this for small screens. It is
trivial to extend this authoring technique to large screens with very large
print. Many pages already do this; most will in the future; and it follows
that if this can be done to accommodate small screened mobile devices a few
more media query cases can be added to include very large font.  The answer
is quite simply, yes, authors now have the techniques needed to create
accessible page formatting. They should be required to use it. The real
guideline here is to get out of the way of assistive technologies like
assistive style sheets. Authors do not have to code accommodations, but
they do have to provide an an environment that supports them.

The UA must be supportive enabling gross parameters like base font
settings, color settings and maybe even some typographic enhancements like
letter line and word spacing. But as long as the author does the job, most
of this can be provided by AT. The main support the UA can provide is with
large print UA controls, expand/collaps large print menues and the ability
to operate without toolbars that take up too much space in LP.

The UA should always use operating system preferences when present. But
these often do not provide sufficient granularity.  For example: What font
does a UA use for a options setting dialogue? Many browsers use the OS
fonts sizes and then dialogues are impossible to use.

The point is this: The OS can forsee the least granularity. The UA can see
more. Only the author knows the structure of content. Thus, responsibility
falls most heavily on the author, then on the UA and finally on the OS.

Wayne