Re: Accessible Documents - PDF vs. HTML

Advising end-users to gain developer-level awareness of relevant technologies - in order to simply author documents - is not at all what the vast majority (99.95%) of users have in mind. I don’t think such a suggestion is responsive to the original question.

Markdown - while cool, useful, powerful etc… can’t really be considered a solution for typical end users. Certainly… I don’t want to be the one to suggest it to them. :-)

The original question requested a comparison of two options: PDF and HTML.

Depending on the complexity of the document and specific needs, creating an accessible PDF may be (typically) accomplished by…

a) Using techniques for accessible authoring (correct use of styles, alt. text, etc.). This is itself as major challenge - and the only appropriate challenge for end-users.

b) Exporting the resulting document from MS Word or OpenOffice (as an example of free software that makes tagged PDF).

So…  what is the equivalent end-user product / workflow for authoring accessible HTML documents?

Based on the recommendations to use HTML this seems like a fairly reasonable question.

Duff.