Re: Creating personas for WAI site redesign

In general, the most productive way to ask about gender if it needs to be asked about is to leave a free text field. Most people will probably fill out male or female--and it's easy enough for a developer to normalize the variety of answers, spellings, etc., around male and female. And for the people for whom merely being asked to answer that question with a binary or skip it is one of the countless micro and macro aggressions comprising trans, genderqueer, agender, and intersex existence,  having a free text field is a way of saying "hi, we welcome you".

That being said, one way to head off worries like Ginger's at the pass in a world like the one we live in now is that any survey which gathers potentially personally identifiable information would do well to link to a generic boilerplate about how it's not gathering or saving or storing any of that. Having done enough volunteer work for the W3C myself, I completely understand that we do most of it in our Copious Free Time (TM), which is a magical invention that happens between the time when the clock strikes twelve and thirteen o'clock on February 30th. That's why it would be ideal if the W3C gave us better outreach assistance for creating these tools.

Deborah