From: Batusic, Mario
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:40 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Names for ARIA menu and menubar

Dear Colleagues,

I am perplex about Screen Readers treatment of ARIA menu and menubar names applied by aria-label on the corresponding element. Both JAWS and NVDA do not announce the menu name when focussing on menu items. We have in our product, that we implement as a single-page web app at the same time up to 3 menus and it is very important for the user to know in which widget is the item he/she focuses on.

Does somebody know what is the reason the screen readers ignore the menu names? Or is it undisputed a bug? Thanks.

Mario

Mario Batusic
Fabasoft Accessibility
Fabasoft Cloud UI Team

www.fabasoft.com

m   +43 664 606162 255
t     +43 732 606162 255
e    mario.batusic@fabasoft.com

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | YouTube

Fabasoft Cloud GmbH, Honauerstrasse 4,
4020 Linz, Austria  |  Handelsgericht Linz, FN 294084b