RE: [WebAIM] Elderly and self identification as having a disability

Phil,

To respond to your questions:

1.      why do we care if the elderly (aged 65+) consider themselves as having a disability or not? Accessibility is not only about disability.

Answer:We shouldn't. Disability/Accessibility is categorising someone and is limiting our thinking and creativity. We all do it without thinking.

        2. why do we care if the mobile device users who experience barriers do not consider themselves as having a disability or not?  Accessibility is not only about disability.

A: Again, we shouldn't care.

If best practises like accessibility is included in core functionality, training of existing and new designers/developers/etc, dev/testing  tools correctly included in all development tools. Then the issue of accessibility would be simplified and easier.

Regards,
Sean Murphy
Cisco Systems - Sydney, Australia
Accessibility Software Engineer