RE: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...

John and All,

For the record my vote on the current task at hand is:

*         Combine all current Task Force requirements (Success Criteria and any new Guidelines) with existing WCAG 2 into a new standard WCAG 2.1

*         Add the new Techniques to the WCAG Techniques list

*         Add the new Understanding content from the Task Forces to the Understanding document – calling it Understanding WCAG 2.1

*         Advertise/socialize/promote the idea, for those organizations required to continue to conform with WCAG 2.0 for some period of time, that they should think about adding any new requirements in WCAG 2.1 as strongly supported *best practices* to their existing routine – so if/when the day comes that they are able to change what they need to conform to, they will be closely up-to-date – and persons with disabilities affected by their routine will have the most relevant/meaningful level of accessibility

NOTE: To speed up the publication of WCAG 2.1, those Task Forces that have completed their work and the remaining WCAG Working Group members – should help the last task force get their work done – by working together we can get this thing out the door rapidly……

​​​​​

For future work:

*         Continue to understand and support the accessibility standards needs and logistics of industry, legistlation and governments

*         Continue to provide the education and outreach that this particularly unique set of standards needs via the W3C

*         Collaborate with universities and non-profits in the education space to increase accessibility career offerings and degrees – as well as public education and outreach

*         Look at providing an updated standard that incorporates requirements of WCAG, ATAG and UAAG – such as a WAI 1.0 – every 3 years (could be 2, but no more than 3)

*         Promote strongly the *best practices approach* (for not yet required Success Criteria) for keeping current in practice with each new iteration of the standard

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)