From: Mike Elledge [mailto:melledge@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:46 AM
To: Adam Powell; WAI Interest Group
Subject: Re: Fwd: Error Handling Best Practice?

Hi Adam--

We haven't had to track form failures, so that's an added wrinkle I haven't had to take into account. But from a usability standpoint, IMHO, maintaining interaction with the current page is preferable. It will certainly help users retain focus, be less disruptive (since convention is now for error messages to appear on the current page), and potentially less confusing, given the multiple windows open on most person's desktops.

Another consideration is that tracking usually takes place in the background and is invisible to users. Breaking expectations of
how a feature behaves in order to capture mistakes doesn't seem like the best approach.

Mike