Re: How do assistive technologies handle icon fonts?

From: Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:02:22 +0100
Cc: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>, Web Accessibility Initiative Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, Ja Eun Ku <jku@illinois.edu>
To: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Thank you for your lengthy reply :)

> Could this problem be solved by having the fontawesome people add
> documentation suggesting authors do something like I indicated in my
> example above (role + name)?
> —joanie

That is what the tests in the repository are trying to figure out. If we can get different use cases with different solutions, we effectively write the documentation Font Awesome needs. Not to say that it is our duty to do so, but I like to work on it regardless—because it also affects icon fonts in general.

So yes, I hope that there will be some documentation and maybe a smart solution to do the Right Thing™ automagically.

I’ll add your suggestion to the repository.