Re: ARIA and mainstream UI (was RE: ARIA 1.1: Deprecate @aria-grabbed and @aria-dropeffect)

Hi Rich (all)--
I'm a newcomer to this conversation, and, though I've read most of the preceding emails, it may be that I've missed something.

I am confused, however, by your last post. If you are saying that the ARIA spec is intended to describe mainstream browser behavior, aren't you also leaving open the possibility that browsers can interpret the ARIA specs in a way that enhances accessibility, if it becomes generally accepted (i.e. "mainstream")? This would seem to support John and Sailesh's point-of-view.

Or were you thinking of "default" browser behavior, which would, for example, preclude an on/off setting in the browser that would provide additional accessibility should the user want it? That would seem to be James' point-of-view.

If the latter is the case, don't we run the risk of unnecessarily restricting creative browser approaches that could enhance accessibility?

Mike