Re: the official definition [of web accessibility] from the W3C is wrong

I like the use of “functional limitations”  (both situational and other) as a way to describe our individual limitations.

But equating functional limitations with disabilities  puts the “disability" back on the person — rather than on the interaction between the person’s limitations and the design of the environment.     Now, for legal reasons, we need to keep the “disability” to be something a person has  (e.g. we allow people with disabilities to have certain protections or entitlements — and some discrimination laws cite them as a particular group with standing)  - but for design I think it is useful to think of disability as something that a person experiences rather than has.

So we can’t get rid of ‘disability” as something a person has - for legal discussions —   but for design I think the “experience” approach is better

gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison
Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International - http://Raisingthefloor.org <http://raisingthefloor.org/>
and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project -  http://GPII.net <http://gpii.net/>