Re: the official definition [of web accessibility] from the W3C is wrong

Phil, these are great points and I'm glad you brought them up.  I only have
1 year to your 20 doing this, and my experience is strictly in web.  I'm
going to find out if I can share the presentation I put together publicly,
as we addressed the issue of the user's "side" of this "gap."

In the eCommerce and marketing sites I work on, our system is simply a
website, web application, and occasionally an iOS app.  We made the call
(and maybe this is wrong — good topic to discuss) that it's safe to assume
that the kind of user coming to our non-mission-critical websites A.) can
access and B.) knows how to use some kind of assistive tech that allows
them to use a computer.  This is NOT a safe assumption when you're talking
about an ATM, or an airline kiosk.  But these assumptions change very
quickly.  Consider that 7 years ago a digital translator was an expensive
device; now it might be free on your iPhone.  (Let's avoid the argument
that the iPhone itself is expensive for the sake of the example.)  Perhaps
it's worth keeping up a curated list based on some usage stats about what
technology a representative user can be assumed to have access to?

So to your point: "Are earbuds and personal eye glasses part of the user or
part of the system?"  I believe it's a safe assumption that our web users
have either eyeglasses or earbuds if needed to operate a computer.
However, I would not say that this is a safe assumption for an ATM, airline
kiosk, or other similarly silo'd system that does not have the benefit of a
common platform.

…
HUGE
Kate Perkins Horowitz / Business Analyst
T. 718 880 3805
www.hugeinc.com / www.twitter.com/hugeinc