RE: PDF accessibility guidelines. WAS: Re: PDF's and Signatures

Duff Johnson wrote:

> Others have voted - as you've read - against PDF altogether. I
> understand the frustration.

I think the real answer is to use the correct tool for the job. PDFs have a
place, and as Duff notes, can be made pretty darned accessible
(accessibility being a long-tail proposition - you will never, ever, reach
100%)

> Software developers have been slow to
> support the accessibility features in PDF. Following publication of
> PDF/UA in 2012, however, the pace of such development has accelerated
> dramatically, and new products are coming on the market. Big banks are
> already delivering their statements as tagged PDF files.
>
> More importantly, PDF/UA means that you can tell them exactly what you
> want. Simply say to software developers: "Hey, we want your software to
> support PDF/UA!"

It is unfortunate then that the PDF/UA Standard is hidden behind a pay-wall:
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csn
umber=64599

Yes, it could be argued that $88.00 won't break the bank (it might impact
some however), but more importantly, that pay-to-play barrier is and remains
one of the impediments for greater PDF accessibility.

Duff, I have never worked with the ISO before, but perhaps they could be
encouraged to do as SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television
Engineers) did regarding SMPTE-TT (captioning format), as noted here:
https://www.smpte.org/news-events/news-releases/smpte-makes-closed-captionin
g-standard-freely-available-widening-access
(Almost every other SMPTE standards document is a pay-to-access document as
well)

The financial loss to ISO would be minimal, but the impact (both in improved
accessibility, but also "good will") would be tangible to the ISO.

JF