Re: Accessibility of SVG - low vision issues?

A few thoughts… (not all of them specific to low vision):

- SVG is horribly limited when it comes to expressing semantics; as a a consequence it is usually just used as a vector painting format (i.e. exclusively focusing on visual presentation without any noteworthy content or semantic representation). This makes it extremely difficult to make SVG images [sic! if I may…] useful beyond creating a rendered presentation for visual consumption; for example: bar and pie charts are usually generated from tabular data - but it is very cumbersome to keep such data and its internal relationships around in an SVG encoded chart.

- the business charts in the collection listed here suffer from bad overall design; even I as a user without visual disabilities it annoys me to no end how difficult some of these charts are to consume. Despite the fact that there is usually ample space no use is made of such space. Some of the most annoying details are (and I can only guess they are so much more annoying to people with low vision):
- put the actual value next to the entity representing such value; e.g. for a bar chart, put the applicable number next to each end of the bar
- for pie charts, put the values for both axes next to the applicable slice
- also for pie charts, make each slice sufficiently distinct from its neighbours without relying on colour or a (in most cases) mild contrast only, instead / in addition  use a line around each slice, or a gap between slices, or both (probably half of the pie charts become partially meaningless once printed on a black and white laser printer)

- now, for any SVG that is not visually representing content that can also be represented as a list (like an org chart) or as tabular data (like most business diagrams/charts) but rather represents cyclical or complex internal relationships, I have yet to encounter an approach that can make the visual presentation as such decently accessible to a user with low vision; in such cases the only solutions from my point of view are
- to semantically enrich the SVG data (which as far as I can tell is hardly possible as of today, at least not in an interoperable fashion)
- have such enrichment follow certain rules/paradigms such that
- suitable tools (browser? AT? ….?) can assist by means of
	- providing additional context information (could be as easy as a tooltip telling me where I am or highlighting the 'current object' or the 'parent object' or 'the next object'; could be as complex as providing a structured text based [re]presentation of a possibly multiply nested structure at the current 'location')
	- offering navigational options (where do you want to move to next? One level up, to the neighbour to the right, ….); this is one of the  most under-utilised aspects, as I think spatial navigation can easily be learnt, is easily understood and can easily be memorised by many types of users; it would probably also allow for decent keyboard or gesture driven navigation

- last but not least: in all cases where diagrams are generated from well structured data, it is always preferable to also offer such data, whether as a table alongside with the chart/diagram, or as a semantic structure 'invisibly' encoded into the graphical representation, such that it can be retrieved and presented as deemed necessary by a given user, and as enabled by the tool at hand.

All in all I have to say that I believe as of today SVG is not up to the task of achieving much in this corner. The most needed extension of SVG would be some approach to make it possible/obvious how to encode semantics, both for nodes and for structure/relationships. Once such approach exists, authors/authoring tools and users/consuming tools could take advantage of it. Whether for users with low vision or whoever else.

Problems going back to bad functional design (one of the diseases most difficult to cure) will probably and unfortunately stay with us forever…

And….:  don't waste much energy on interactive SVG (at least not from an accessibility perspective). Rather, make SVG semantically richer, so tools and user agents can establish rich interaction especially with more complex SVG as needed.

Olaf