RE: role="presentation"

> . It is certainly interesting, and a part of the whole "what is a data table" question that doesn't seem to have a really clear answer

I also think the idea is very interesting as there could be edge cases where it has merit.  One semi related scenario is graphical builder type applications where you can drag and drop/cut and paste objects into an area to create something.  I've been examining using a grid role potentially without headers to provide some semantic location such as coordinates for these generic types of objects.  Similar things could be done with games I suppose such as checkers or chess where you would have row and column coordinates but it is not tabular data as we traditionally consider it.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer