Re: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

From: Wayne Dick <waynedick@knowbility.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:20:48 -0700
To: Christophe Strobbe <strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "Batusic, Mario" <mario.batusic@fabasoft.com>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
This issue is exactly what I have feared for years. We have one system for
able bodied users and an alternative system for people with disabilities.

>From the US Supreme Court 1954, "separate educational facilities are
inherently unequal." The same is true of separate software service flow

APIs are essential, and ARIA is critical but they carry to heavy of a load.
It is really too difficult for AT  and web developers to keep up. The
central focus for accessibility support should come from the HTML, CSS and
Javascript languages.

I know a lot is being done, but to me WAI is carrying the weight of the
technical load with a tiny fraction of the resources.

Please correct me if I am wrong.