Re: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

Hi Mario,

On 29/04/2015 14:22, Batusic, Mario wrote:
> [snip].
>
> Now my question: Is this problem due to MSAA / UIAutomation /
> iAccessible2 missing the possibility for the Browser to set proper
> language for AT? Has the iAccessible2 maybe also this problem or the
> Screen readers do not use it? Have Screen readers technically a
> possibility to combine their focus mode with their awareness of the
> defined human language for the whole document and for its parts that
> they show during function in the browse / virtual cursor mode?

When I compared accessibility APIs in the AEGIS project (roughly five
years ago), I did not see anything like language metadata - not in any
of the accessibility APIs that I looked at. So it seems that screen
readers cannot rely on the platform accessibility API to get the UI
language; they would need to get this information by other means,
possibly by parsing the DOM.

The mapping tables in the WAI-ARIA spec also don't list anything like UI
language:
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/#mapping_role_table>.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom
instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”
Jacob Appelbaum,
<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>