CSS display property and tables

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@tverskov.dk>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:25:32 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I have published a blog-like article, “When even nested tables are
just great”, at my website:

I would like to hear the Accessibility Community, if there is
consensus about the use of the CSS display property and the table
related values, “table”, “table-row” and “table-cell” for short.

In my opinion, tables should be made with table markup. Using e.g.
“div” elements and the display property to make tables, is not a
shortcut to get rid of the very last table of design.

If a table of design is necessary as an exception to the rule then use
a HTML table. It is simply too far out and misuse of the display
property, confusing, and bound to be less widely supported, to use
“div” and the display property as a substitute for a HTML table of

Jesper Tverskov