Re: Coding table notes

Hi,

On 1/12/2014 18:49, Rabab Gomaa wrote:
> (...)
> Just to clarify, the table notes here are notes related to the data in
> the table (table footnotes) and not information describing the
> structure of the table.

If I were creating such a table, I would put the footnotes below the
table. The reason is that the table appears to describe tabular data,
whereas the notes are a list rather than tabular data. In addition,
adding the footnotes to the footer creates a mixture of a data table
(the current thead and tbody) and a layout table (by suggesting that the
*combined* footnotes have a specific relationship with *each* cell in
the tbody). WCAG 2.0 does not prohibit layout tables but several
techniques advise against combining the coding patterns of data tables
and layout tables.

If you are really keen on having the notes inside the table, you should
check whether this doesn't cause strange behaviour in assistive
technologies, especially screen readers. For example, if you have links
from the table cells to the notes, you should check how the screen
reader announces the footnotes when you jump to them (e.g. announcing
that you are in cell XYZ isn't very useful when you've just jumped to a
footnote).

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

"La vie est courte, hélas! et je n'ai pas encore lu tous mes livres!" (d'après Mallarmé).