Hiding heading level ones

From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 07:32:22 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

A Web developer in our marketing department has asked if the following
markup, which is meant for use in Drupal themes and Dreamweaver
templates throughout the organization, would meet WCAG AA with the
notion that screen readers will be able to receive a good heading for
the page and some snappy marketing text could go in the <h2>.

.hidden {
position: absolute;
top: -9999px;
left: -9999px;

<h1 class="hidden">Page Title</h1>
 <!-- No other content -->

Thoughts on that markup and WCAG AA?

I stated that if he hides the <h1> he would be locking out people with
cognitive and learning disabilities who would benefit from the ability
to identify content by a visible <h1>. My advice to him was to keep
the <h1> visible and intuitively easy to understand.

I have cited Info and Relationships Success Criteria 1.3.1, "When such
relationships are perceivable to one set of users, those relationships
can be made to be perceivable to all."

In addition I have pointed him to:

Other thoughts?

Thank you.