Re: Feedback

From: Mark Barratt <markb@textmatters.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:09:12 +0000
Cc: Oscar Cao <oscar.cao@live.com>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>

> On 21 Nov 2014, at 12:57, Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com> wrote:
> - all uppercase is more difficult to read than mixed case, and is a barrier for all; all uppercase is used for navigation entries, news headings, visuals in the slider, and a couple of other places

The evidence is that while all-uppercase is dramatically harder to read for continuous text (sentences, paragraphs), it’s not measurably harder to read for labels of one or two words - indeed, it’s often a better solution for things like navigation menus because for a given size the letters are larger and will render more distinctly in a lo-res graphic environment. IBM (of all people) did the research to validate this in the last ‘50s, when the issue was labelling of instrumentation in fast jets.

Mark Barratt
Text Matters

We help explain things using design | language | systems | process improvement

markb@textmatters.com | +44 (0)118 986 8313
http://www.textmatters.com | Twitter @mark_barratt | Skype mark_barratt