RE: ARIA labelledby & adopted children?

Ø  Does aria-labelledby adopt a child?

The name calculation for text alternatives should be used by elements referenced by aria-labelledby - so yes, according to the calculation the same set of rules should apply and it should work.  In practice however this technique may not be accessibility supported.  I'd ask the question why not use another technique.  For example, when CSS is turned off the title attribute won't be displayed.  What then is the benefit of using this over aria-label?   In my experience the more the accessible name is obscured the more likely it is to not be updated and harder it is to maintain.

Jonathan

From: Adam Cooper [mailto:cooperad@bigpond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:16 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: ARIA labelledby & adopted children?

Hi all,

recently, I encountered a technique for providing a name for a text control:

<input type="text" aria-labelledby="abc" />

it works as follows:
Full support (quick navigation keys & tabbing)

-          JAWS 16 +IE11 & FF32

-          Voiceover +Safari 7.1
Partial support (quick navigation keys, but not tabbing)

-          NVDA 2014.3 + IE11 & FF32
No Support

-          JAWS 16/NVDA 2014.3 + GC38

The accessible name value for MSAA, UIA, & IA2 is empty ... any thoughts as to how this might be working and not working in selected user agents?

Does aria-labelledby adopt a child?

Cheers,
Adam