RE: Skipping of headings

From: Oscar Cao <oscar.cao@live.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 05:27:39 +1100
To: <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thanks all for the responses. Looking through the email responses, I’m getting the notion that it is OK to have skipped heading levels outside the main content area – so I’ll stick to my current plan of having the skipped heading levels mark up.

To answer Steve’s question, the main reason I skip heading levels outside the main content area is for inferring the significance of the heading (see ‘Use heading tags appropriately’ section in the Google SEO starter guide <http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf> ). This is in-line with the HTML specification on heading rankings (http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sections.html#headings-and-sections).

The other option is to change such heading tags to span tags and style them up to look like headings, but personally I do not want to go down this path, as they are headings and should be marked up as headings.