From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:05 PM
To: Homme, James; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Required Form Fields Question

Jim, this is the definition of programmatically determinable from WCAG:

programmatically determined (programmatically determinable)
determined by software from author-supplied data provided in a way that different user agents<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#useragentdef>, including assistive technologies<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#atdef>, can extract and present this information to users in different modalities
Example 1: Determined in a markup language from elements and attributes that are accessed directly by commonly available assistive technology.
Example 2: Determined from technology-specific data structures in a non-markup language and exposed to assistive technology via an accessibility API that is supported by commonly available assistive technology.

Jonathan