From: Sailesh Panchang [mailto:sailesh.panchang@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:06 PM
To: WAI Interest Group
Subject: Re: aria-label usage in table cells

Devarshi,
Yes the title might help a mouse user to get to that content if he thinks of  mousing over every cell. But a sighted keyboard user will be at a loss.
If it is important content for all users and not just something to aid VI users then the UI needs a serious look. Content should be usable first to all then  one should make sure it is accessible too.
And sure, one can introduce a B or SPAN tag with off-screen content programattically just like any other attribute / element.
Aria-label on static TD content  may not get exposed by SRs.
Regards,
Sailesh