Re: Questions about the International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP)

Hi

A few note that hopefully help here.

Professional organizations — (and I believe this is meant to be a professional organization) — are usually formed to serve the members of the organization.

All organizations need officers and those need to be elected - by vote.    So that is one place where all (voting) members vote.
In professional organizations , all members usually also have to vote to approve the bylaws or changes to bylaws.

Corporate memberships are usually separate from professional memberships (individuals).

The purpose of a corporate membership is to provide funding support to the organization.
They usually include a small number of complementary memberships so that the organization officials can be members.
They are not meant to be mass membership purchases.  (I have never seen this)

If corporations want to pay for the individual member fees for their employees - that is fine and they usually do that by paying for the individual memberships as their employees join the organization.

The complementary memberships that come with a corporate membership - - are often named at the time the corporate membership is granted.   They are not 'pocket memberships’.   Large blocks of voting memberships owned by a company would not be healthy for a professional organization — and I know of no professional organizations where this is done.

In fact, in a professional organization - much care is taken that the organization remains in the control of the professionals (individuals in that profession ) and that it cannot be taken over or unduly influenced by any company or by companies as a group.

Professional organizations are organizations by, of, and for professionals.    And if so, the by-laws etc should reflect that — and ensure that it is starts and stays like that.

My suggestion is that, if you are creating bylaws for a professional organization - you look at the statutes and bylaws of other professional organizations, and model yours after those.   Bylaws are tricky things.   They are primarily for two purposes
to enable
to restrict - but only in those places where there is danger of things going wrong if restrictions are not there
(general procedures should not be in bylaws)

Good luck.  I have been part of quite a few organizations - including professional organizations - as they were formed,  and it is real work to figure out the role of — and proper form for the bylaws and the governance they define.

gregg

PS  If this is a non-profit organization, then the governance and who has voting rights etc has to be (legally has to be) defined in the statutes and/or bylaws.

Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison
Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International - http://Raisingthefloor.org
and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project -  http://GPII.net