Re: Undoubtedly, an oversimplification ...

Dear Phill,

thank you for what i would designate "a reply", or otherwise put,
constructive criticism.

I am confused by other people's, and your, usage of the word "application".
In my understanding, a web site is an application, and what most people
refer to as an "application" is a bespoke piece of technology, that has
strictures in terms of it's operating environment, and its scope. You
admirably point to "apps that are accessible", but it would appear to me,
that, virtually by definition, 'apps' present barriers to usage, rather
than encourage inclusivity. By way of illustration, i believe it is the
case that i glean a beneficial user experience from the Internet, but to my
knowledge, in the last several years, i have only ever used one 'app', and
i have ceased using that, as i have found the actual 'Internet site' for
the said 'app' superior to the 'app'.

I have tried to clarify my understanding of JavaScript elsewhere. Made
terse: i am of the opinion that it is a useful technology, whose initial
purpose is currently being abused. I think that it is the case that
JavaScript was brought into being to serve a specific task: client-side
scripting. With the advent of technologies such as AJAX, sever calls seem
to have been introduced, which in one sense may be beneficial, in that they
allow HTML pages to be updated without a page refresh, but beyond this,
seem to have spawned a multitude of 'widgets', 'gadgets' and
'surveillance'. To summarise in a sentence: today, if i had the choice of
using two versions of a web site, one with, and one without JavaScript, i
would opt for the one without. This would not have been the case a decade
ago.

Self-reference is the plague of post-modernism, but i will re-emphasise:

".. if a web site, or an 'accessible version' of a web site, with the same
'content', were to be delivered, in a manner which is compatible with Lynx
..."

I was not suggesting that we all use Lynx, but that if we kind of tried to
'centre down' for the sake of the disabled, there might result a more
beneficial universality.

Regards,
Lewis.