Re: Adding ARIA properties to form elements with class names

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:05:38 -0700
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
On Apr 25, 2014, at 6:14 AM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

> On foot of the recent thread on the difference between HTML label and aria-labelledby, I have a question about adding ARIA properties to input controls that similar class names, rather than using IDs?
> Firstly is this currently possible (I don't think so), and is it something that is on the radar of our ARIA expert friends?

It's pretty trivial to use JavaScript (this is not specific to jQuery) to do this via a CSS classname.

Here's an example from a WWDC 2009 demo.

Here's the bit of script that takes the "segmentedcontrol" classname and adds the "radiogroup" role, or the "itemlist" class and adds the "listbox" role.

Here's the WWDC video for that session: