Re: Aria role=alert on UL tag fails validation

Hi Sailesh,
the reason it is flagged as an issue now rather than previously is that the
implementation of the conformance requirements on use of ARIA in HTML5 is
an ongoing process. The restriction on use of role=alert on ul has been in
the spec for years.

Note also that the http://validator.nu has different rules in some cases as
its rule set is based on the whatwg spec not the W3C HTML spec.

The conformance requirements (which ARIA attributes can be used on which
elements) are specified in the following tables:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/dom.html#sec-strong-native-semantics
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/dom.html#sec-implicit-aria-semantics

If you consider that any requirements are incorrect, please file a bug
(provide a rationale for a change) against the HTML spec (
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?comment=%22No%20role%2C%20with%20the%20aria-hidden%20state%20set%20to%20%22true%22%22&component=HTML5%20spec&product=HTML%20WG)

--

Regards

SteveF