Re: What are these "many applications" ??

On 10/31/13, 2:00 AM, Ganesh J. Acharya wrote:
> It's written "The title should ideally be less than 64 characters in
> length. That is, many applications will display document titles in window
> titles, menus, etc where there is only limited room."
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/TITLE.html
>
> So what are these "many applications" to consider??
>
> The browse tabs today any way start reducing with size as soon as we start
> opening more pages... and even the 64 starts to look bigger and the
> complete title hardly appear any more... menu items are never as long as 64
> characters.
The title bar on many tab enabled web browsers still displays the full title of the *active* tab so I believe this is still relevant.

A quick check on my platform verifies that 3 (Safari, Firefox, iCab) out of 5 browsers show the title of the active tab. This behavior can be added to the other browsers using configuration options or plugins/extensions.

Mark

--
Mark Sadecki
Web Accessibility Engineer